Gandhi Kumar Kar
Professor and Head of the Department
I am am an Organic Chemist and engaged in both teaching (in the B.Sc Hons and M.Sc level) and research. My field of research is primarily Synthetic Organic Chemistry. Our group is engaged in the synthesis of β-lactams and γ-lactams, furo-natural products (furo-sesquiterpenes, furoquinone- diterpenoids), pyridocarbazoles, pyrroloindoles, polycyclic aza- and thia-arenens and their oxidative metabolitesetc of biological importance.
At present I am in the chair of Dean of Natural & Mathematical Sciences, Presidency Universit, kolkata with effect from September 2015.
B.Sc (Chemistry Hons) (Bankura Christian College/Burdwan University, 1977)
M.Sc (Chemistry/Organic Chemistry specialization) (Indian institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1980)
Ph.D (Synthetic Organic Chemistry) (Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1986)
Please see the uploaded CV
Research / Administrative Experience+
I am working as Professor, Department of Chemistry, Presidency University, Kolkata.. Currently, I am also in the chair of Dean of Natural & Mathematical Sciences (addl. charge) of Presidency University. I have joined Presidency University on July20, 2012
Teaching / Other Experience+
I am primarily a teacher and actively engaged in teaching in the B.Sc (Chem Hons) an M.Sc (Organic Chem.) level as well as research work. In the UG Hons level. My teaching courses include Reaction Mechanism, Retro-synthetic analysis of Organic Compounds, Organometallic Compounds and their reactions, Enolate Chemistry, Stereochemistry, Carbohydrate Chemistry, Reactions of Alkanes, Alkenes and Alkynes etc. In PG level, I am involved in teaching of Application of Spectroscopy in Organic Chemistry (1H-NMR, 13C-NMR, IR, MS), Total synthesis of important Organic Compounds, Medicinal Chemistry etc.
Post Graduate Supervision+
In addition to the teaching in both UG Hons and PG level i am actively engaged engaged in research work too. Two fellow, Dr. Khokan Samanta (CSIR NET fellow)(now working as PDF at Seol) and Dr. Prasanta Patra (CSIR NET fellow) [now working as an Asst.Professor of Chemistry (W.B.E.S) at Darjeeling Govt College] have already been awarded with Ph.D Degree under my supervision (Dr. Samanta under joint supervision with Prof. A. K. Sarkar). Title of thesis of Dr. Khokan Samanta (2012): “Derivatives of phenanthrenes and phenanthraquinones: Synthesis via Suzuki coupling and other reactions.” and that of Dr. Prasanta Patra (2012): “Synthesis of Structurally Designed γ-Lactams and Other Oxa-aza Heterocyclic as Possible Antibacterial Agents.” Both of the worked in the Department of Chemistry, Presidency College (now Presidency university) and were registered under Calcutta University.
Another fellow (Moumita Rakshit) has submitted her thesis [title of the thesis: " Studies on the synthesis of condensed heterocycles via alkynylation, arylation and olefination of suitable β-halo-α,β-unsaturated aldehyde intermediates"] at Calcutta Unversity for her Ph.D Degree.
Currently four students (Aparna Sarkar, Rumpa Das, Faruk H. Shaik, Tuhin Maity/all are CSIR NET qualified) are working (as full time or part-time fellow) for their Ph.D Degree under my supervision and 3 of the have been registered under Calcutta University. In addition in last six years, 15 students have completed thei M.Sc project work (thesis) under my supervision (for details please see the CV enclosed). My research works are funded from CSIR/DST, Govt of India.
(i) Indian Association for the Cultivation sciences (Life member)
(ii) Indian Chemical Society.
1.“Studies on polycyclic azaarenes-3: Stereoselective synthesis of trans 10,11-Dihydroxy-10,11-dihydrodibenz- [a,h]acridine and trans 8,9-dihydroxy-8,9-dihydroacenaphtho[1,2-b]quinoline”. J. K. Ray, G. K. Kar, A. C. Karmakar; J. Org. Chem., 1991, 56(6), 2268-2270.
2. “Alkyl lithiums as alkylating agents: Regioselective alkylations in the semi bay regions of polycyclic azaarenes. J. K. Ray, B. C. Roy, G. K. Kar; J. Org. Chem., 1996, 61(5), 1863-1866.
3. “Thermolysis of N-aryl β-chlorovinylimines: Synthesis of 7,13-dibutyl-4-phenanthridino[3,2-a]-4- phenanthridino[2,3-j]anthracene, a novel cavity shaped diaazarene”. M. K. Haldar, G. K. Kar, J. K. Ray; Synlett, 1997, 9, 1057-1058.
4. “Synthesis of some thieno γ-lactam monocarboxylic acids with high antibacterial activity: a new look at an old molecular system”. G. K. Kar, B. C. Roy, S. Das Adhikari, J. K. Ray, N. K. Brahma; Bioorg. and Medicinal Chem., 1998, 6(12), 2397-2403.
5. “Studies on the synthesis of trans dihydrodiols of polycyclic aromatic thiaarenes as potential proximate metabolites: first synthesis of trans 10,11-dihydroxy-10,11-dihydroacenaphtho[1,2-b] -benzo[d]thiophene and 6,7-dihydroxy-6,7-dihydronaphtho[1,2-b]thiophene.” J. K. Ray, S. Gupta, G. K. Kar, B. C. Roy, J-Ming Lin, S. Amin; J. Org. Chem., 2000, 65(24), 8134-8138.
6. Studies on polycyclic fluoroazaarenes: Synthesis of trans 9-fluoro- and 11-fluoro-3,4-dihydroxy-3,4-dihydro- benz[c]acridine as potential proximate carcinogenic metabolite of fluoro benz[c]acridine. D. Pan, Gandhi K. Kar, J. K. Ray, J. M. Lin, S. Amin, S. Chantrapromma, H. K. Fun ; J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans I, 2001, 1ssue-19, 2470-2475.
7. Direct regioselective phenylation of acridine derivatives by phenyl lithium. B. P. Dutta, Gandhi K. Kar, J. K. Ray; Tetrahedron Lett., 2003, 44(48), 8641-8643
8. “Synthetic studies towards furosesquiterpenes:Total synthesis of (±) desmethylpallescensin-1, (±)isopallescensin-A and (±)isopallescensin-1”. S. K. Mal, G. K. Kar, J. K.Ray; Tetrahedron, 2004, 60(12), 2805-2811.
9. A generalized route to the synthesis of β-furyl-α, β-unsaturated aldehydes through Suzuki reactions.” K. Samanta, Gandhi K. Kar*, A. K. Sarkar; Tetrahedron Lett., 2008, 49(9), 1461-1464.
10. “Studies on polynuclear furoquinones. Part-1: Synthesis of tri- and tetra cyclic furoquinones simulating BCD /ABCD ring system of furoquinones diterpenoids”. F. H. Shaik, G. K. Kar; Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry (BJOC), 2009, 5, No. 47 (pp 1-7).
11. “Catalyst and steric controlled alkenylation via chemoselective C-H activation and C-Br activation in Heck reaction of methyl 1-(2-bromoaryl)-3-(2-furyl/thienyl)-5-oxopyrrolidine-2-carboxylates and diethyl 1-(2-bromoaryl -3-(2-furyl/thienyl)-5-oxopyrrolidine-2,2-dicarboxylate derivatives.” P. Patra, J. K. Ray, G. K. Kar; Tetrahedron Lett., 2010, 51(27), 3580-3582.
12. “Intramolecular gold(III) catalysed Diels-Alder reaction of 1-(2-furyl)-hex-1-en-5-yn-3-ol derivatives: A short and generalized route for the synthesis of hydroxyphenanthrene derivatives.” K. Samanta, G. K. Kar, A. K. Sarkar; Tetrahedron Lett. 2012, 53, 1376-1379.
13. An efficient, general, synthesis of 2-substituted 2H,6H-pyrrolo[3,2-e]indoles involving one-pot Sonogashira coupling and cyclisation. Moumita Rakshit, Taraknath Kundu, Gandhi K. Kar*, Manas Chakrabarty; Monatsh Chem. 2013, 144(5), 717-724
14. Studies on the Suzuki reaction on methyl 1-(2-bromoaryl)-5-oxo-3-aryl/heteroaryl-pyrrolidine-2-carboxylate derivatives: Synthesis of N-aryl modifiedmonocyclic gamma lactam derivatives in search of newer antibacterial agents. Prasanta Patra, Gandhi K. Kar Tetrahedron Lett. 2014, 55, 326-328 .
15.Thermolysis of N-aryl enaminoimine hydrochloride derivatives: A short and general method for the synthesis of pyranoquinolin-3-one and pyranoacridin-3-one derivatives. P. Patra, Gandhi K. Kar B. Khatua; J. Heterocyclic Chem. 2014, 51, 1306
16. A new general synthesis of annulated 1,2,3-triazoles using tandem Sonogashira - CuAAC reaction. Moumita Rakshit, Gandhi K. Kar, Manas Chakrabarty; Monatsch Chem. 2015, 146, 1681.
17. Synthesis and bioactivity of Pyrroloindazoles: An overview. Manas Chakrabarty, Moumita Rakshit, Gandhi. K. Kar; Heterocycles 2015, 91 (8), 1555.