Professor ,Dean of Faculty of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
I am always intrigued by the might of the mountain belts and this passion drove me eventually to the study of orogenic belts. Orogenic belts with towering peaks similar to what we see in the modern day Himalayas also existed long back in the Earth’s history that are now lying as eroded mountain belts surrounding the cratonic blocks of India. I was trained so far in tracing the history from “microscope to mountain belts” using the tools of metamorphic petrology (texture, chemistry and more robust pseudosection analysis). A substantial exposure to geochronology opened my vision about the complexity of the crustal processes wherein the knowledge of so many important branches of earth science merges. I understood the necessity of scientific research in a holistic approach assembling key members from different earth science communities.
B.Sc. in Geological Sciences (Jadavpur University, India, 1991)
M.Sc. in Applied Geology (Jadavpur University, India, 1993)
Ph.D. in Science (Jadavpur University, India, 2003)
I did my doctoral rsearch on petrological evolution of the Eastern Ghats Belt of India and awarded the degree in 2003. In the year 2007, I moved to Yokohama National University, Japan with a two-year Post-Doctoral Fellowship from JSPS. I also invited to Hiroshima University, Japan for three weeks in 2012 and Yokohama National University, Japan in 2013. I joined Presidency University as an Associate Professor in 2013. I received National Geoscience Award (2012) by Govt. of India for outstanding contribution in the field of Basic Geoscience. In the year 2016, I was awarded the JSPS-Bridge Fellowship to work with scientists from Hiroshima University and Nagoya University, Japan. I became a member of the international research group Hiroshima Institute of Plate Convergenece Region Research (HiPeR) in 2017. I received the INSA Teachers Award in the year 2019. I also received Shiksha Ratna award from the Government of West Bengal in 2019.
Research / Administrative Experience+
My research interest is focused on evolution of lower crust from petrological study of high-grade metamorphic rocks of the Eastern Ghats Belt (EGB) of India. Characterization ultrahigh temperature (UHT) metamorphic process in this belt is an important contribution to the knowledge of crustal evolution. During my post-doctoral research program in Japan, I developed interest in geochronology and experimental petrology. The geochronological study was done with very high-resolution state-of-the-art technique (SHRIMP) and yielded significant results for the crustal evolution of the EGB and its role in the Proterozoic accretionary processes involving extinct supercontinents Columbia, Rodinia and Gondwana. My interests on structural geology, geochemistry and tectonics help me understand problems of Precambrian geology in a holistic manner. As Principal Investigator, I successfully completed four major research project funded by DST, CSIR including one International Bilateral project (DST-JSPS) and currently working in a major project from MoES and one International Bilateral project (DST-JSPS).
Teaching / Other Experience+
I teach Metamorphic Petrology in under-graduate and post-graduate courses. These contain both thery and laboratory-based coursework. I also teach Introduction to Earth System Science and Crystal Chemistry in under-graduate level and Geochemical Thermodynamics in post-graduate level.
Post Graduate Supervision+
Three doctoral students received Ph.D. degree- Arnab Dasgupta (2018), Proloy Ganguly (2019) and Sneha Mukherjee (2019).
• Acted as reviewer of research articles for Journal of the Asian Earth Science, Gondwana Research, Precambrian Research, Journal of Geodynamics, Episodes, Journal of the Geological Society of London, Journal of the Earth System Sciences and Journal of Mineralogical and Petrological Sciences.
• Member of the International Association of Gondwana Research (1999-2004).
• Life member of the Geological Society of India (2012 onwards).
• Member of the Geological Society of Japan (2007-2008).
• Member of Asia Oceania Geoscience Society (AOGS) (2014 onwards)
• Member of Japan Geoscience Union (JpGU) (2013 onwards)
• Member of the Japan Association of Mineralogical Sciences (2008-2009).
• Life Member and Chairman of the East Chapter of the Indian JSPS Alumni Association (2010 onwards).
• Founder member of the Indian Scientists in Japan (2008-2009).
• Member of American Geophysical Union (AGU) in 2008 and 2013
1. Bose, S., Ghosh, G., Kawaguchi, K., Das, K., Mondal, A.K., Banerjee, A., 2021. Zircon and monazite geochronology from the Rengali-Eastern Ghats Province: implications for the tectonic evolution of the eastern Indian terrane. Precambrian Research, 355, 106080 (doi: 10.1016/j.precamres.2020.106080)
2. Ganguly, P., Ghosh, G., Bose, S. Das, K., 2021. Polyphase deformation and ultrahigh temperature metamorphism of the deep continental crust: Implications for tectonic evolution of the northern Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Journal of Structural Geology, 143, 104250 (doi: 10.1016/j.jsg.2020.104250)
Bose, S., Mondal, A.K., Bakshi, A.K., Jose, J.R., 2020. Petrogenetic re-examination of spinel + quartz assemblage in the Larsemann Hills, East Antarctica. Polar Science, doi:10.1016/j.polar.2020.100588
2. Bose, S., Das, K., Torimoto, J., Dunkley, D. 2020. Origin of orthopyroxene-bearing felsic gneiss from the perspective of ultrahigh-temperature metamorphism: an example from the Chilka Lake migmatite complex, Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Mineralogical Magazine, doi: 10.1180/mgm.2020.71
3. Ghosh, G. and Bose, S., 2020. Deformation and metamorphic history of the Singhbhum Craton vis-à-vis peripheral mobile belts, eastern India: implications on Precambrian crustal processes. Journal of Mineralogical and Petrological Sciences, 115, 70-87.
4. Bose, S., 2020. Geology of the Proterozoic Eastern Ghats Belt: recent developments and outstanding issues. Special issue of the Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy: 36th IGC 2020 Geoscience Research in India: The Indian Report to IUGS 2016-2020 (Eds. Banerjee, D.M., Jain, A.K., Dasgupta, S. and Bajpai, S.) 86, 87-97.
5. Mondal, A.K. and Bose, S., 2019. Lower crustal fluid evolution in the realm of ultrahigh temperature conditions: constraints from silicate-oxide-sulphide assemblages of mafic granulites of the Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Journal of Earth System Sciences, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12040-019-1197-3.
6. Dey, B., Das, K., Dasgupta, N., Bose, S., Hidaka, H and Ghatak, H., 2018. Zircon U-Pb (SHRIMP) ages of the Jahazpur granite and Mangalwar gneiss from the Deoli-Jahazpur sector, Rajasthan, NW India: A preliminary reappraisal of stratigraphic correlation and implications to crustal growth. In: Mondal, M.E.A. (ed.) Geological Evolution of Precambrian Indian Shield. SES Series, Springer, 39-56.
7. Mukherjee, S., Ghosh, G., Das, K. and Bose, S., 2018. Geochronological and geochemical signatures of the granitic rocks emplaced at the north-eastern fringe of the East Dharwar Craton, South India: implications for Late Archean crustal growth. Geological Journal, 53, 1781-1801.
8. Ganguly, P., Das, K., Bose, S., Ghosh, G., Hayasaka, Y., Hidaka, H., 2018. U-Pb zircon and U-Th-total Pb monazite ages from the Phulbani Domain of the Eastern Ghats Belt, India: Time constraints on high-grade metamorphism and magmatism in the lower crust. Precambrian Research, 316, 1-23, doi: 10.1016/j.precamres.2018. 07.024.
9. Bose, S, Dasgupta, S., 2018. Eastern Ghats Belt, Grenvillian-age tectonics and the evolution of the Greater Indian Landmass: a critical perspective. Journal of the Indian Institute of Science, 98, 345-363, doi: 10.1007/s41745-018-0068-2.
10. Ganguly, P., Bose, S., Das, K., Torimoto, J. and Ghosh, G., 2017. Origin of spinel + quartz assemblage in a Si-undersaturated ultrahigh temperature aluminous granulite and its implication in the P-T-fluid history of the Phulbani domain, Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Journal of Petrology, 58, 1941-1974.
11. Chatterjee, A., Das, K., Bose, S. and Hidaka, H., 2017. Age-integrated tectonic modelling across the orogen-craton boundary: Age zonation and shallow- to deep crustal participation during Late Cambrian cratonization of Eastern Ghats Belts, India. Lithos, 290-291, 269-293
12. Das, K., Bose, S. and Ghosh, G., 2017. The Neoarchean-Paleoproterozoic basin development and growth of the Singhbhum Craton, eastern India and its global implications: insights from detrital zircon U-Pb data. Precambrian Research, 298, 123-145.
13. Dasgupta, A., Bose, S., Ghosh, G. and Das, K., 2017. Petrological and geochemical evolution of the Central Gneissic Complex, Rengali Province, eastern India: implication for the Neoarchean orogenesis. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 146, 1-19.
14. Yamamoto, T., Ando, J., Tomioka, N., Das, K., Ghosh, G. and Bose, S., 2017. Microstructural observations of fracture-filling goethite vein from crustal fluid along the Kerajang Fault Zone in Rengali Province, Eastern India and its tectonic implication. Journal of Mineralogical and Petrological Sciences, 112, 102-107.
15. Bose, S., Seth, P and Dasgupta, N., 2017. Meso-Neoproterozoic mid-crustal metamorphic record from the Ajmer –Shrinagar section, Rajasthan, India and its implication to the assembly of the Greater Indian Landmass during the Grenvillian-age orogenesis. In: Pant, N. C. & Dasgupta, S. (eds) Crustal Evolution of India and Antarctica: The Supercontinent Connection. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 457, 291-318
16. Dasgupta, S., Bose, S., Bhowmik, S.K. and Sengupta, P., 2017. Eastern Ghats Belt, India in the context of supercontinent assembly. In: Pant, N. C. & Dasgupta, S. (eds) Crustal Evolution of India and Antarctica: The Supercontinent Connection. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 457, 87-104.
17. Chatterjee, A., Das, K., Bose, S., Ganguly, P. and Hidaka, H., 2017. Zircon U-Pb SHRIMP and monazite EPMA CHIME geochronology of granulites of the western boundary, EGB, India: new evidence for Neoproterozoic exhumation history. In: Pant, N. C. & Dasgupta, S. (eds) Crustal Evolution of India and Antarctica: The Supercontinent Connection. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 457, 105-140.
18. Das, K., Tomioka, N., Bose, S., Ando, J. and Ohnishi, I., 2017. Stability of fluor-wagnerite in UHT granulites and its implications towards understanding orogenic evolution: a case study from Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Mineralogy and Petrology, 111, 417-429.
19. Saha, D., Bhowmik, S.K., Bose, S. and Sajeev, K., 2016. Proterozoic tectonics and Trans-Indian mobile belts: a status report. Special Issue of the Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy, 82, 445-460 (doi: 10.16943/ptinsa/2016/48460).
20. Bose, S., Das, K., Kimura, K., Hidaka, H., Dasgupta A., Ghosh, G and Mukhopadhyay, J. 2016. Neoarchean tectonothermal imprints in the Rengali Province, eastern India and their implication on the growth of Singhbhum Craton: Evidence from zircon U-Pb SHRIMP data. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 34, 743-764 (doi: 10.1111/jmg.12201).
21. Bose, S., Das, K., Torimoto, J., Arima, M. and Dunkley, D.J., 2016. Evolution of the Chilka Lake granulite complex, northern Eastern Ghats Belt, India: evidence of ~ 780 Ma decompression of the deep crust and its implication on the India-Antarctica correlation. Lithos, 263, 161-189. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2016.01.017.
22. Ghosh, G., Bose, S., Das K., Dasgupta, A., Yamamoto, T., Hayasaka, Y., Chakraborti, K. and Mukhopadhyay, J., 2016. Transpression and juxtaposition of middle crust over upper crust forming a crustal scale flower structure: Insight from structural, fabric, kinematic and geochronologic studies from the Rengali Province, eastern India. Journal of Structural Geology, 83, 156-179.
23. Crowley, Q., Mukhopadhyay, J., Ghosh, S., Ghosh, G., Chakrabarti, K., Misra, B., Heron, K. and Bose, S., 2015. Oxygenation of the Archean atmosphere: New paleosol constraints from eastern India. Forum Reply. Geology, doi:10.1130/G36880Y.1.
24. Bose, S., Guha, S., Ghosh, G., Das, K. and Mukhopadhyay, J., 2015. Tectonic juxtaposition of crust and continental growth during orogenesis: Example from the Rengali Province, eastern India. Geoscience Frontiers, 6, 537-555.
25. Mukhopadhyay, J., Crowley, Q., Ghosh, S., Ghosh, G., Chakrabarti, K., Misra, B., Heron, K. and Bose, S., 2014. Oxygenation of the Archean atmosphere: new paleosol constraints from Eastern India. Geology, 42, 923-926.
26. Mukhopdhyay, J., Crowley, Q., Ghosh, G., Ghosh, S., Chakrabarti, K., Misra, B. and Bose, S., 2013. A Mesoarchean Paleosol from eastern India-the second oldest paleosol on Earth. Mineralogical Magazine, 77, 1802.
27. Sarbajna, C., Bose, S., Rajagopalan, V., Das, K., Som, A., Paul, A.K., Shivkumar, K., Umamaheswar, K. And Chaki, A., 2013. U-Cr-rich high Mg-Al granulites from Karimnagar Granulite Belt, India: implications for Neoarchean-Paleoproterozoic events in the Southern India. Mineralogy and Petrology, 107, 553-571.
28. Das, K., Tomioka, N., Bose, S. and Ando, J., 2013. On oriented ilmenite needles in garnet porphyroblasts from deep crustal granulites: implications for fluid evolution and cooling history. Lithos, 156-159, 230-240.
29. Dasgupta, S., Bose, S. and Das, K., 2013. Tectonic evolution of the Eastern Ghats Belt. Precambrian Research, 227, 247-258.
30. Das, K., Bose, S., Karmakar, S. and Chakraborty, S., 2012. Petrotectonic framework of granulites from northern part of Chilka Lake area, Eastern Ghats Belt, India: Compressional vis-à-vis transpressional tectonics. Journal of Earth System Sciences, 121, 1-17.
31. Karmakar, S., Bose, S., Basu Sarbadhikari, A. and Das, K., 2011. Evolution of granulite enclaves and associated gneisses from Purulia, Chhotanagpur Granite Gneissic Complex, India: Evidence for 990- 940 Ma tectonothermal event(s) at the eastern India cratonic fringe zone. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 41, 69-88.
32. Bose, S., Dunkley, D.J., Dasgupta, S., Das, K. and Arima, M., 2011. India-Antarctica-Australia-Laurentia connection in the Paleo-Mesoproterozoic revisited: Evidence from new zircon U-Pb and monazite chemical age data from the Eastern Ghats Belt, India. The Geological Society of America Bulletin, 123, 2031-2049.
33. Bose, S., Das, K., Chakraborty, S., Miura, H., 2011. Petrology and geochemistry of metamorphosed basic intrusives from Chilka Lake granulites, Eastern Ghats Belt, India: implications for Rodinia breakup. In: Dyke swarms: keys for geodynamic interpretation (Ed: Srivastava, R.K.), p. 241-262, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg.
34. Das, K., Bose, S., Karmakar, S., Dunkley, D.J. and Dasgupta, S., 2011. Multiple tectonometamorphic imprints in the lower crust: first evidence of c. 950 Ma compressional reworking of older UHT metamorphosed aluminous granulites from the Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Geological Journal, 46, 217-239.
35. Ghosh, G., Bose, S., Guha, S., Mukhopadhyay, J. and Aich, S. 2010. Remobilization of the southern margin of the Singhbhum craton, eastern India during the Eastern Ghats orogeny. Indian Journal of Geology, 80, 97-114.
36. Bose, S. and Das, K., 2009. Cordierite-K-feldspar-quartz symplectite and its implication on the reworking of isobarically cooled crust: a case study from the Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Indian Journal of Geology, 78, 55-78.
37. Bose, S., Das, K., Ohnishi, I., Torimoto, J., Karmakar, S., Shinoda, K. and Dasgupta, S., 2009. Characterization of oxide assemblages of a suite of granulites from Eastern Ghats Belt, India: implication to the evolution of C-O-H-F fluids during retrogression. Lithos, 113, 483-497. (I.F. 3.78)
38. Karmakar, S., Bose, S., Das, K. and Dasgupta, S., 2009. Proterozoic Eastern Ghats Belt, India – a witness of multiple orogenies and its lineage with ancient supercontinents. Journal of the Virtual Explorer, 32, doi: 10.3809/jvirtex.2009.00254.
39. Bose, S., Das, K. and Arima, M., 2008. Multiple stages of melt-fluid interaction in the lower crust: new evidences from UHT granulites of Eastern Ghats Belt, India. Journal of Mineralogical and Petrological Sciences, 103, 266-272.
40. Bose, S. and Das, K., 2007. Sapphirine + quartz assemblage in contrasting textural modes from the Eastern Ghats Belt, India: implications for stability relations in UHT metamorphism and retrograde processes. Gondwana Research, 11, 492-503.
41. Bose, S., Das, K., Dasgupta, S., Miura, H. and Fukuoka, M., 2006. Intergrowth textures in orthopyroxene in aluminous granulites as indicators of UHT metamorphism: new evidence from the Eastern Ghats belt, India. Lithos, 92, 506-523.
42. Das, K, Bose, S., Ohnishi, I. and Dasgupta, S., 2006. Garnet-spinel intergrowth in ultrahigh-temperature granulite, Eastern Ghats, India: possible evidence of an early Tschermak-rich orthopyroxene during prograde metamorphism. American Mineralogist, 91, 375-384.
43. Bose, S., Das, K., and Fukuoka, M. 2005. Fluorine content of biotite of granulite-grade metapelites and its implications for the Eastern Ghats granulites. European Journal of Mineralogy, 17, 665-674.
44. Das, K., Bose, S. and Fujino, K., 2005. Reappraisal of Fe and Mg partitioning between coexisting spinel solid solution and cordierite: a geothermometric formulation from experimental data and its application to natural occurrences. Indian Journal of Geology, 75, 135-146.
45. Bose, S., Pal, S. and Fukuoka, M., 2003. Pressure-temperature -fluid evolutionary history of orthopyroxene–bearing quartzofeldspathic and mafic granulites from northern parts of the Eastern Ghats Belt, India: implications for Indo-Antarctic correlation. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 22, 81-100.
46. Bose, S., Fukuoka, M., Sengupta, P. and Dasgupta, S., 2000. Evolution of high Mg-Al granulites from Sunkarametta, Eastern Ghats, India: evidence for a lower crustal heating-cooling trajectory. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 18, 223-240.
47. Pal, S. and Bose, S., 1997 Mineral reactions and geothermo-barometry in a suite of granulite facies rocks from Paderu, Eastern Ghats Granulite Belt: A reappraisal of the P-T trajectories. In: Eastern Ghats granulites, Special volume for the Proceedings of the Earth and Planetary Science (Ed. Sen, S.K.), Indian Academy of Sciences, 106, 77-89.
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)