About The Department
Brief Introduction: The Department of Mathematics of Presidency University is one of the oldest in the country, having started functioning since the foundation of Hindu College (then the name of the university) in 1817. This department has a rich history being part of an institution which has been serving the society for more than two centuries. In keeping with its tradition of academic excellence and the achievements of its illustrious alumni, the department is poised towards developing its teaching and research initiatives further. The department aims to nurture students for learning Mathematics and choosing a career based on Mathematical education. As a centre of learning, the department receives eminent researchers as visitors. Usually visitors give a series of lectures during their stay. Various academic activities like seminars and outreach programmes take place regularly. Outreach activities for school students, B.Sc. students and college teachers have been organised separately on regular intervals and participants from various districts of West Bengal have successfully attended these events. Our faculty members offer summer and winter internships and various students from different places have successfully completed their projects.
Courses Offered: The courses offered by the department are as follows: three years B.Sc, two years M.Sc, Ph.D. and Generic Elective Mathematics (for the bachelors students majoring in a subject other than Mathematics). After the formation of the University, the undergraduate syllabus was thoroughly revised in the academic year 2015-2016 and was upgraded to Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) in 2018-2019. The postgraduate syllabus has been revised on 2017-2018 and will be upgraded again in near future. The department has started its Ph.D. programme on 2018-2019. Our regular curriculum includes programmes for developing e-learning skills, tutorials and interactive sessions for the preparation of different competitive examinations, job awareness programmes, career counselling etc .
Performance of the Students
Regularly, our students exhibit good performance in examinations like JAM, NET, GATE, NBHM, TIFR, IISERs, CMI, IISc, IACS with very good rank. Few students secured scholarship to study abroad (CNRS Fellowship in France). Our students are also offered IAS, VSRP (TIFR), MTTS summer internship and internship from other institutes like ISI, IISER, IMSc etc. Regularly, our students perform well in Madhava Camp.
Facilities: The department moved to the third floor of the Baker building in March 2017 and received a huge upgrade in terms of facilities. The classrooms have been modernised and there is a dedicated computer lab for student use. There is a departmental library for the students and faculty members. This library has a decent collection and it is expected to grow in numbers with the funds received from NBHM and DST. The database of MathSciNet is available on the university network with various other online subscriptions through the university central library. Ph.D. students have separate seating arrangements with desktop computers. High speed internet connection is available throughout the department via LAN and Wi-Fi and the connection is used by students, research scholars, faculty members and academic visitors.
Research: The faculty members of the department are actively engaged in research on various subjects and they are regularly publishing in many important journals. The following is a list of research areas represented by the faculty members of the department.
Algebra & Cryptology and Cryptanalysis: Avishek Adhikari, Angsuman Das
General Relativity and Cosmology: Subhra Bhattacharya, Supriya Pan
Dynamical Systems: Md. Nasim Akhtar, Kuntal Banerjee, Tapan Saha
Functional Analysis and Operator Algebra: Arnab Mandal
Geometry & Topology: Shubhabrata Das, Ritu Sen.
Graph Theory: Angsuman Das, Avishek Adhikari
Lie Groups & Representation Theory: Pampa Paul
Mathematical Biology & Nonlinear Dynamics : Subhas Khajanchi, Tapan Saha
Operations Research and Supply Chain Management: Balaji Roy
Quantum Computation & Information : Ramij Rahaman
Computation: The faculty members of the department use coding on various programming languages for their work and teaching. Some faculty members write programs on C, C++, Python, MATLAB or Mathematica for their research. Departmental students and research scholars use the computer lab for their lab practicals and work. Computation and programming both are included in B.Sc. and M.Sc. syllabus. The department is going to set up a very powerful workstation for high level computational and numerical simulations.
Research Projects: The faculty members in the department have received generous funds for research projects from DST, CSIR, DRDO and NBHM. A number of faculty members are involved in research collaboration at the national and international level. The department has been selected for DST-FIST funding of Rs 66,00,000/- for the academic years 2019-2024 .
List of ongoing research projects by the faculty members of the Department:
- Professor Avishek Adhikari as the Principal investigator of the Research Project under DST-SERB Matrics Scheme entitled “Application Of Algebra In Cryptanalysis Of Polynomial Based Image Secret Sharing Schemes Under Different Adversarial Models: Few Efficient Remedies In Different Cheating Scenarios” of amount Rs. 6,60,000/- for 3 years from 2020 funded by DST-SERB, Government of India.
- Professor Avishek Adhikari as a Co-investigator of the Research Project entitled “A study on k-level metric bases for graphs”, (in Collaboration with Balurghat College) of amount Rs. 30,70,831/- (Rs. 2509831/- (for Balurghat College) + Rs 5,61,000/- (for Presidency University) ) for 3 years from 2020 funded by DST-SERB, Government of India.
- Professor Avishek Adhikari started the Project as the PI when he was at University of Calcutta, currently as a Co-PI (after he joined Presidency University) of the Research Project entitled “Detection of an Unknown Stream Cipher and Recovery of its Embedded Keys Through Cryptanalysis of a Class of Iterative Ciphers Using Fault Analysis”, (in Collaboration with University of Calcutta with fund utilization at University of Calcutta) of amount Rs. 21, 24, 000/- for 2 years from 2018 funded by DRDO, Ministry of Defense, Government of India.
- Dr. Supriya Pan as the Principal Investigator of the Research Project “Structure formation in the cosmological models and their astronomical constraints in the light of latest observations” under the Mathematical Research Impact-Centric Support Scheme (MATRICS) funded by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), DST, Government of India, of Amount Rs. 6,60,000/- for three years from 2019.
- Dr. Angsuman Das as the Principal Investigator in Startup Research Grant (SRG) for project entitled “Vertex transitive graphs and Cayley graphs: Polycirculant Conjecture, Automorphism groups and other problems” funded by DST-SERB, Government of India, of amount Rs. 5,50,000 for two years from 2019.
- Dr. Arnab Mandal as the Principal Investigator in Startup Research Grant (SRG) for project entitled “Quantum symmetry of higher rank graphs and graph C* algebras” funded by DST-SERB, Government of India, of amount Rs. 20,04,816 for two years from 2019.
- Dr. Subhas Khajanchi as the Principal Investigator in Core Research Grant (CRG) for project entitled “ Mathematical Modeling of Tumor Immune Competitive systems: Model Analysis and Validation ” funded by DST-SERB, Government of India, of amount Rs. 22,59,060 for two years from 2018.
- Dr. Balaji Roy as the Principal Investigator in UGC Start-Up Research Grant for project entitled “Sustainable Development in Supply Chain Management Considering Competitive Market Situations with Single and Multi-Period Set Up” funded by UGC, of amount Rs. 10,00,000 for two years from 2020.
- Dr. Subhra Bhattacharya as the Principal Investigator in the DST-SERB Early career Research Award for the project titled “ Investigation of accelerating universe and dark sector interactions” funded by DST-SERB of Amount: Rs. 16.69 Lakhs, from 2018 for three years.
List of completed research projects:
- Dr. Subhra Bhattacharya as the Principal Investigator in UGC Start Up grant, funded by UGC, Amount: Rs. 6 Lakhs for three years from 2014 - 2017
List of PhD students:
The PhD students are also part of departmental research groups. Here is a list of PhD students in the department:
- Partha Sarathi Ghosh (Advisor: Shubhabrata Das)
- Alamgir Hossain (Advisor: Md. Nasim Akhtar)
- Manideepa Saha (Advisor: Angsuman Das)
- Subhamoy Mondal (Advisor: Kuntal Banerjee/Ritu Sen)
- Chandan Gowsami (Advisor: Avishek Adhikari)
- Sucharita Biswas (Advisor: Angsuman Das)
- Ankita Pal (Advisor: Pampa Paul)
- Rudra Pratap Saha (Advisor: Ritu Sen)
- AKASH BANERJEE (Advisor: Dr. Md. Nasim Akhtar )
- HIMADRY SEKHAR ROY (Advisor: Dr. Avishek Adhikari )
- UJJAL KARMAKAR (Advisor: Dr. Arnab Mandal)
- NAYANTARA GHOSH (Advisor: Dr. Balaji Roy)
- SUPARNA DASH (Advisor: Dr. Subhas Khajanchi)
- SUBHASIS NALUI (Advisor: Dr. Subhra Bhattacharya)
- SUDIP HALDER(Advisor: Dr. Supriya Pan & Dr. Tapan Saha)
- Anubrata Bhattachariya (Advisor: Dr. Kuntal Banerjee)
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)
How to Find Us
86/1 College Street
Plot No. DG/02/02,
Premises No. 14-0358, Action Area-ID
(Near Biswa Bangla Convention Centre)
Contact details Presidency University Students Corner