My primary research interest is politics of language, culture and identity and in my doctoral thesis, I looked at print and politics of language in colonial Western India. I have also been researching on and teaching Indian political thought. I have translated a few poems by Jotirao Phule, and I am immensely interested in the work and writings of Phule and other leaders of non-Brahmin movement. Recently I have been working on Savarkar and language cleansing. My research interests also include social, cultural and intellectual history of modern India. Though trained in political science, I am immensely interested in the discipline of linguistics.
B.A. in Political Science (University of Mumbai, 2006)
Advanced Diploma in Sanskrit (Tilak Maharashtra University, Pune, 2006)
M.A. in Political Science (Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 2008)
P.G. Diploma in Linguistics (Tilak Maharashtra University, Pune, 2008)
M.Phil. in Political Science (Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 2011)
Ph.D. in Political Science (Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 2018)
After finishing my undergraduate studies from Ruia College, University of Mumbai, I joined Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi from where I completed M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. My M.Phil. dissertation was titled Language and Marxism: Reinterpreting Linguistic Materialism. For my doctoral thesis, I worked on The Nationalization of Marathi: Politics of Print and Language in Maharashtra, 1805-1920. I joined the Presidency University, Kolkata in December 2013.
Research / Administrative Experience+
Teaching / Other Experience+
I teach/ have taught the following courses (or portions of them):
UG: Colonialism and Nationalism in India
Indian Political Thought (Major and Gen-Ed)
Emereging Issues in the Study of Politics
Caste and Politics in India (GenEd)
PG: Civil Society: Issues and Debates
Major Issues in Indian Politics
Civil Society and Democracy in India
PhD : Research Methodology
Philosophy in Social Sciences
Post Graduate Supervision+
* (2011) “Review of ‘Religion, Language and Power’ by Nile Green and Mary Searle Chatterjee (eds.)”, Contemporary South Asia, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 216-217 .
* (2012) "Book Review of ‘Social Space of Language: Vernacular Culture in British Colonial Punjab’ by Farina Mir and ‘Language, Emotion, and Politics in South India: The Making of a Mother Tongue’ by Lisa Mitechell”, Indian Linguistics, Vol. 73, No. 1-4, pp. 251-253.
* (2014) "Jotirao Phule" and "Poems by Mahatma Jotirao Phule", Indian Litrerature, No. 279, Vol. LVIII, No. 1, pp. 10-18. [Introductory note on Jotirao Phule and translation of his select poetry]
* (2014) "Poems by Namdeo Dhasal", Indian Litrerature, No. 279, Vol. LVIII, No. 1, pp. 45--48. [Translation of select poetry]
* (2014) "Processes of (Dis)integration: National", a module for the paper State Politics in India for the project e-pg pathshala.
* (2014) "Processes of (Dis)integration: Regional", a module for the paper State Politics in India for the project e-pg pathshala.
* (2014) "Processes of (Dis)integration: Sub-regional", a module for the paper State Politics in India for the project e-pg pathshala.
* (2015) "Civil Society", in Pradip Basu, ed., Political Sociology, Kolkata: Setu Prakashani.
* (2015) "Jotirao Phule: Father of Non-Brahmin Movement", in Pradip Basu, ed., Social Thinkers of Modern Times, Kolkata: Setu Prakashani.
86/1 College Street, Kolkata - 700073,
West Bengal, India
Email: madhura.polsc at presiuniv.ac.in
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)