MD Nur Alam
- Worked as a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Institut Pasteur International Network de Shanghai (2018-2019)
- Completed Course on HIV Science from Institut Pasteur, Paris. Dec 2018
- PhD in Biochemistry [University of Kalyani/IICB (co-institute)] 2017
- Recipient of Research Fellowships in Science for Meritorious Students, UGC, Govt of India. (2011-08-25 to 2016-08-24).
- Qualified CSIR-UGC-National Eligibility Test (NET) AlR-63
- Qualified State Eligibility Test (SET) 2015
- Worked for SDS Pathology Pvt Ltd (previously Symbion Pathology Pvt Ltd) from 2008/4 -2009/10
- Worked as Quality Control Officer in Medreich Pvt Ltd, Bangalore, early 2008
- MSc in Biochemistry [Bangalore University]
- Qualified TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research) - NCBS (National Institute of Biological Science) Test for Integrated PhD
- BSc in Biotechnology [Bangalore University]
My post doctoral work involved mimicking genetic aberations in cell lines and generating KO cell lines by using CRISPR-Cas9, [lentiCRISPR v2] system. I successfully created several clonal lines of GLB1-/- (KO) HepG2 and Huh7 cell lines to study axial metabolic pathways associated with GM1- Gangliosidosis (a Lysosomal storage disorder). During the same time, I did gain expertise on lenti virus production in HEK293T cells and subsequently its purification. After joining Presidency University, I started working on compounds which could ameliorate circumstantial overdose (chemo- toxicity) of drugs associated with cancer treatment, albeit with my collaborators. My doctoral work was focused on Characterization of a protein in the vicinity of host -parasite interactions. It includes purification and ascertaining its role, we did identify a novel cross class serine protease inhibitor from an eukaryotic parasite and named as LdISP and subsequently characterized it. My doctoral thesis titled “Studies on Endogenous Serine Protease Inhibitor of Leishmania donovani: Purification, Characterization and its Significance in Host-Parasite Interactions. As an independent researcher, I am taking small strides in the field of public health, life style and metabolic diseases grappling rural India, my focus is especially on CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease).
Research / Administrative Experience+
1. Was a member of the Biosafety and Biohazard committee in the School of Biotechnology, Presidency University.
2. Departmental GE Coordinator [Department of Life Sciences] since 01.04.2021
3. Member of the Departmental colloquium committee.
4. Member of the Departmental PRAC Committee.
5. Coordinator of a PG paper BIOS 792
Teaching / Other Experience+
Teaching undergrads and postgrads in the Department of Life Sciences since 01/04/2019.
Areas of teaching: Molecular Biology, Enzymology, Proteomics, Biochemical Techniques, and Biochemistry.
Post Graduate Supervision+
1. Circumstantial Overdose Management of an Efficient Cancer Cell Photosensitizer with Preclinical Evidence: A Biophysical Study (2020) Paul, Provakar; Karar, Monaj; Alam, Md Nur; Dutta, Debanjan; Majumdar, Tapas; Mallick, Arabinda ; ACS Applied Bio materials
2. Functional attribution of LdISP, an endogenous serine protease inhibitor from Leishmania donovani in promoting infection. Md Nur Alam, Sajal Chakraborti, Anghshuman Bagchi, Dibyendu Paik, Tapati Chakraborti; Biochimie; ISSN 0300 9084; (2018) 147:105-113 ; doi: 10.1016/j.biochi.2018.01.005.
3. Identification and biochemical characterization of a serine protease inhibitor in Leishmania donovani: possible role in proteolytic regulation of mammalian serine proteases; Md Nur Alam, Partha Das, Tripti De and Tapati Chakraborti, Life Sciences. ISSN: 0024-3205. (2016) 144: 218–225; doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2015.12.004;
4. TLR4-mediated activation of MyD88 signaling induces protective immune response and IL-10 down-regulation in Leishmania donovani infection. Joydeep Paula, Kshudiram Naskara, Sayan Chowdhurya, Md Nur Alam, Tapati Chakraborti and Tripti De,* IJBB ;ISSN:09750959, 03011208, (2014) Vol. 51 . pp 531-541
5. Role of protein kinase C in leukotriene D4-mediated stimulation of cytosolic phospholipase A2 in pulmonary smooth muscle cells Sajal Chakraborti, Tapati Chakraborti, Md Nur Alam, Soni Shaikh, Soumitra Roy. IIOAB ISSN: 0976-3104 (2011) 2(6):85-90.
6.Some Aspects of Oxidative Stress Induced Prostate Cancer Therapy
Md Nur Alam, T Chakraborti, P Ghosh, D Roy, S Chakraborti
Handbook of Oxidative Stress in Cancer: Therapeutic Aspects, 2022
7. Submitochondrial Calpains in pathophysiological consequences. Pulak Kar*, Krishna Samanta, Tapati Chakraborti, Md Nur Alam and Sajal Chakraborti Springer Nature (2017), Print ISBN 978-981-10-2512-9, Online ISBN 978-981-10-2513-6. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-10-2513-6
8. Autophagic Proteases: Functional and Pathophysiological Aspects. Pijush Kanti Pramanik, Dibyendu Paik, Asmita Pramanik, Md Nur Alam, Partha Das and Tapati Chakraborti* . Springer Nature (2017), Print ISBN 978-981-10-3161-8, Online ISBN 978-981-10-3162-5. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-10-3162-5
9. Na+/K+-ATPase: A Perspective. Sajal Chakraborti, Sayed Modinur Rahaman, Md Nur Alam, Amritlal Mandal, Biswarup Ghosh, Kuntal Dey and Tapati Chakraborti. In: Regulation of Membrane Na+-K+ ATPase. Volume 15 of the series Advances in Biochemistry in Health and Disease pp 3-30 Springer, New York, (2015) ISBN 978-3-319-24750-2, Page no. 3-30. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-24750-2
10. Phospholemman: A Brief Overview. Sajal Chakraborti, Kuntal Dey, Md Nur Alam, Amritlal Mandal, Jaganmoy Sarkar and Tapati Chakraborti. In: Regulation of Membrane Na+-K+ ATPase, Springer, New York (2015) ISBN 978-3-319-24750-2, Page no. 243-260. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-24750-2
11. Pathophysiological aspect of Lipoprotein Associated-Phospholipase A2: A brief overview. Sajal Chakraborti,, Md Nur Alam , Animesh Chowdhury, Jaganmay Sarkar ,Asmita Pramanik, Syed Asrafuzzaman, Subir K. Das, Samarendranath Ghosh and Tapati Chakraborti. Advances in Biochemistry in Health and Disease vol. 10 Chapter 7, Springer, New York (2013) ISBN 978-1-4614-9233-7, Page no. 115-133. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4939-0464-8_7
12. Proteases as virulence factors in Leishmania: Focus on Serine proteases as Possible Therapeutic Targets.(2013) Partha Das, Md Nur Alam , Tripti De, Tapati Chakraborti : Adavances in Biochemistry in Health and Disease vol-7; Springer , New York . Print ISBN 978-1-4614-9232-0 Online ISBN 978-1-4614-9233-7, Page no 135-161. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4614-9233-7_9.
13.Drug resistance: An incessant wrestle for survivability Md Nur Alam1, Pijush Pramanik1, Dibyendu Paik, Tapati Chakraborti 2019 Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance ISSN: 2213-7165; 2019 doi: 10.1016/j.jgar.2019.01.023. [Epub ahead of print] .
14.Implications of Calpains in Health and diseases Sajal Chakraborti, Md Nur Alam, Dibyendu Paik , Soni Shaikh and Tapati Chakraborti IJBB :ISSN:09750959, 03011208(2012) ; 49(5):316-328.
15.Vascular Aneurysms: A Perspective; Sajal Chakraborti*, Animesh Chowdhury, Md Nur Alam, Jaganmay Sarkar, Amritlal Mandal, Asmita Pramanik and Tapati Chakraborti. IJBB. ISSN: 09750959, 03011208 ;(2014) vol 51:449-456.
16. Protease inhibitors in potential drug development for Leishmaniasis: Das P, Md Nur Alam Paik D, Karmakar K, De T, Chakraborti T. IJBB. ISSN: 09750959, 03011208; 2013 50(5):363-376.
86/1 College Street, Kolkata - 700073,
West Bengal, India
Email: nur.dbs at presiuniv.ac.in
alternate E-mail: nur.sahi at gmail.com
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)
How to Find Us
86/1 College Street
Plot No. DG/02/02,
Premises No. 14-0358, Action Area-ID
(Near Biswa Bangla Convention Centre)
Contact details Presidency University Students Corner