Advertisement No: PU_RECR_AP_21-22 Date: 04 / 03 / 2022
Online Applications are invited for Assistant Professor Posts at Institute of Health Sciences under the aegis of Presidency University, Kolkata
Institute of Health Sciences under the aegis of Presidency University, Kolkata, invites online applications for the posts of Assistant Professor in the following specializations:-
4. Clinical pathology
5. Population genetics
6. Medical biotechnology
7. Molecular Diagnostics
8. Molecular parasitology
9. Synthetic chemistry
10. Virology and vaccine technology
1. Assistant Professor
[ Last date of submission: 04 / 04 / 2022 ]
For the Post of Assistant Professor
Eligibility (a or b): a.
i) A Master‘s degree with 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point-scale wherever the grading system is followed) in a concerned/relevant/allied subject from an Indian University, or an equivalent degree from an accredited foreign university.
ii) Besides fulfilling the above qualifications, the candidate must have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC or the CSIR, or a similar test accredited by the UGC, like SLET/SET etc However, the exemptions in this regard are specified in Note 2.
The Ph.D degree has been obtained from a foreign university/institution with a ranking among top 500 in the World University Ranking (at any time) by any one of the following: (i) Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) (ii) the Times Higher Education (THE) or (iii) the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) of the Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Shanghai).
The Academic score as specified in Appendix I (Table 2A) shall be considered for short-listing of the candidates for interview only as prescribed in the UGC regulations, 2018 and the selections shall be based only on the performance in the interview.
1: Relaxation of Marks for Direct Recruitment of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor:
i. A relaxation of 5% may be provided at the Graduate and Masters Level for the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes/Differently-abled (physically and visually differently-abled) / Other Backward Classes (non-creamy layer) categories for the purpose of eligibility and for assessing good academic records during direct recruitment to teaching positions. However. differently-abled (physically and visually) candidates are not eligible for any marks relaxation in Physical Education discipline.
ii. The minimum qualifying marks of 55% is relaxable by 5% marks (from 55% to 50%) at the Master level for Ph.D. Degree holders who have obtained their Master’s degree prior to September 19, 1991.
iii. The eligibility marks of 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible, based on only the qualifying marks without including any grace mark procedures.
iv. All the essential qualifications must have been obtained from a recognized University/ Institute. By a recognized University / Institute is meant a University / Institute affiliated to UGC/other statutory apex bodies, or recognized by the State or Central Government as a centre of higher learning. In case of a foreign University, the Degree concerned should be recognized as equivalent to its Indian counterpart by the Association of Indian Universities.
2. NET/SLET/SET Exemption for the Post of Assistant Professor:
i. The candidates who have been awarded Ph.D. Degree in the same or in a relevant subject in accordance with the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for award of Ph.D. Degree) Regulations, 2009 are exempted from qualifying in the Eligibility Test (NET/SLET/SET).
ii. Candidates registered for Ph.D. programme prior to 11 July, 2009 shall be exempted from qualifying in the Eligibility Test ( NET/SLET/SET) as described hereinafter
The award of Degree to candidates registered for the Ph.D. programme prior to July 11,2009, shall be governed by the provisions of the then existing Ordinances/ Bye laws/ Regulations of the institutions awarding the Degree in the same or relevant subject shall be exempted from the requirement of NET/SLET/SET, subject to fulfilment of the following conditions:
a) Ph.D. degree of the candidate awarded in regular mode only;
b) Evaluation of the Ph.D. thesis by at least two external examiners;
c) Open Ph.D. viva voce of the candidate had been conducted;
d) Candidate has published two research papers from his/her Ph.D. work out of which at least one must be in a refereed journal;
e) Candidate has made at least two presentations in conferences/seminars. Based on his/her Ph.D work.
The fulfilment of these conditions is to be certified by the Registrar or the Dean (Academic Affairs) of the University concerned.
iii) NET/SLET/SET shall also not be required for such Master's Program in disciplines for which NET/SLET/SET is not conducted.
3. Relevant/ allied disciplines in each case, good academic record may be decided by the appropriate bodies of the concerned university.
4. The Period of time spent by the candidates to acquire M. Phil and/ or Ph.D. degree shall not be claimed or considered as teaching/research experience for appointment to the post of Associate Professor/ Professor.
5. Composition of the selection committee and the selection criteria based on the candidates' academic record, research experience, performance in his/ her previous academic/ research positions in the colleges/ universities/ research institutes/ industries and other related aspects may be decided by the appropriate bodies of the concerned university taking into consideration as far as practicable, the relevant guidelines of UGC in such matters.
The overall selection procedure shall incorporate transparent, and objective methodology of analysis of the merits and credentials of the applicants based on weightages given to the overall performance of the candidate in different relevant dimensions based on a scoring system adopted by the selection committee.
7. In addition to the minimum eligibility criteria and experiences as stated above for each category of academic positions, the concerned universities may include other relevant qualifications/ experiences.
8. Age Limits:
The upper age limit is 40 years on the 1st day of January of the year of the advertisement in the first entry relaxable up to 5 years for SC/ST and 3 years for OBC category (non-creamy layer) candidates for the post of Assistant Professor. Differently-abled candidates (except in the post of Physical Education) are entitled to an age relaxation of 10 years.
9. RESERVATION: The State Government norms regarding reservation as amended from time to time. Shall be followed.
Scale of Pay
- Assistant Professor: BP Rs. 57,700/- - Rs. 1,82,400/- in Academic level 10
and other admissible allowances are as per State Government Orders.
- Appointments will be made on probation for one year which may be waived or extended in exceptional cases and will be guided by the rules as framed and / or amended from time to time. During or at the end of the period of probation, the services of the concerned faculty may be terminated without assigning any reasons thereof. On satisfactory completion of the probationary period the concerned incumbent will be considered for confirmation of service. Stipulation in respect of Experience and Age may be relaxed by the authority in case of exceptionally brilliant candidates on recommendation of relevant selection committee.
- Presidency University reserves the right to keep all or some of the vacancy if circumstances so warrant.
- The selection of advertised posts need not necessarily be confined only to those who formally apply.
- Essential qualifications prescribed are the minimum and mere possession of them will not entitle applicants to be called in for interview. If the number of applications received in response to this advertisement is large and it is not convenient for the University to interview all the applicants, the number of candidates for interview may be restricted to a reasonable limit on the basis of qualifications, experience and other credentials or by any other suitable method.
- For all posts, Proficiency in the medium of instruction in this University (English) is required.
- Candidates already in employment must apply through proper channel and “No Objection Certificate” must be produced in order to appear before Selection Committee.
- Photocopies of all testimonials & certificates must be submitted at the time of interview (If called) and the originals of the same will be required for necessary verification.
- Fulfillment of the minimum criteria will not ensure to get call letter for interview. University has the right to filter relevant candidates.
- The period of time spent by the candidates to acquire M.Phil and Ph.D degree shall not be claimed or considered as teaching/research experience.
- OBC-A, OBC-B, SC, ST certificate, (as the case may be, if applicable) issued by the competent authority of Govt. of West Bengal only, will be considered.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Table: 2 A
Criteria for Short-listing of Candidates for Interview for the Post of Assistant Professors in Universities
|1||Graduation||80% & Above = 15||
60% to less than
80% = 13
55% to less than 60% =
|2||Post-Graduation||80% & Above = 25||
60% to less than
80% = 23
55% (50% in case of
to less than 60% = 20
|3||M.Phil.||60% & above = 07||55% to less than 60% = 05|
|5||NET with JRF||7|
Research Publications ( 2 marks for
each research publications published
in Peer-Reviewed or UGC-listed
Teaching / Post Doctoral Experience
(2 marks for one year each)#
International / National Level
(Awards given by
Organizations/ Government of India /
Government of India
National Level Bodies)
(Awards given by State Government)
If the period of teaching/Post-doctoral experience is less than one year then the marks shall be reduced proportionately.
(A) (i) M.Phil + Ph.D Maximum - 30 Marks
(ii) JRF/NET/SET Maximum - 07 Marks
(iii) In awards category Maximum - 03 Marks
(B) Academic Score – 80; Research Publication – 10; Teaching Experience – 10
(C) However, equivalence of the above mentioned parameters based on academic / research experience / performances/ publications (if required) may be decided by respective screening committee of the concerned University.
(D) The number of candidates to be called for interview will be decided by respective screening committee of the University.
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)