Pulak Kumar Ghosh
I am a theoretical chemist, and my research utilizes both analytical and numerical methods to explore challenging issues in interdisciplinary area between chemical physics and biology. To be specific, my research interest includes non-equilibrium statistical mechanics, stochastic processes, soft condensed matter, quantum transport theories, modeling charge and energy conversion processes in natural and artificial devices.
- **)· B. Sc. Burdwan University (Katwa college), 1998-2001.
- **) M. Sc. Visva-Bharti University, 2001-2003.
- **) PhD, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, 2004-2008.
- **) Post doctoral Fellow, DML, RIKEN, Japan, September 2008 – June 2011.
- **) Visiting Scientist, Augsburg University, Germany, June 2011 – August 2011
- **) JSPS Post-doctoral Fellow, QCMRG, RIKEN, Japan September 2011 – August 2013.
- **) Postdoctoral researcher, iTHES, RIKEN, Japan, September 2013 -November 2013.
- **) Assistant Professor, Department of chemistry (December 2013 - present)
Presently, I am working as an assistant professor in chemistry depratment, Presidency University. Prior to this, I worked as a JSPS postdoctoral fellow at quantum condensed matter research group at RIKEN, Japan. I did my doctoral research at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, one of the best and oldest research institutes in India (where Professor C. V. Raman discovered the celebrated Raman effect for light scattering in 1928). Completing my doctoral research, I moved to digital material lab at Wako campas of RIKEN in 2008. In 2011, I visted Augusberg University as a visiting scientiest for a couple of months.
Research / Administrative Experience+
The main areas of my research include statistical mechanics, noise-induced non-equilibrium phenomena, soft-condensed matter and physics in biology. During my doctoral research, I worked in the area of the stochastic processes and its applications. Particularly, in the context of rate theory of chemical reactions, stochastic resonance, resonant activation and stochastic localization, transport phenomenon in ratchet like potential, noise-induced aggregation dynamics and cluster formation.
After I completed my PhD, I become facinated to study energy transduction mechanisms in some artificial and natural photo-systems. We studied some theoretical models of light-induced electron and proton pump by molecular triads (a functional mimicry of natural photosystems). We explored the effect of light intensity, trasmembrane potential and temperature energy conversion efficiency and found out optimal efficiency conditions. These studies are potentially important for developing artificial solar cell mimicking natural photosynthetic mechanisms. More recently, we investigated energy transduction mechanism in an artificial structure to explore role of quantum coherence in photosynthesis.
Teaching / Other Experience+
- Quantum Mechanics ( for under graduate & postgraduate students)
- Statistical Thermodynamics (postgraduate students)
- Electric and Magnetic properties of matter ( for undergraduate students)
- Transport phenomena (general aspects) and electrical conductance ( for undergraduate students)
- Dielectric properties of matter ( for postgraduate students)
- Non-equilibrium statistical mechanics, Brownian motion - Langevin description and Fokker-Planck description (for postgraduate students).
- Chemical kinetics and chemical equilibrium (for undergraduate students).
- Classical mechanics (for postgraduate students)
- Numerical analysis and programming in Fortran 77/90 (for under graduate & postgraduate students)
- Electrochemistry (for under graduate students)
Post Graduate Supervision+
- Debajyoti Debnath
- Tanwi Debnath
- Shubhadip Nayak
- Poulami Bag
- Monoj Sen (2016-2018)
- Directed Autonomous Motion and Chiral Separation of Self-Propelled Janus Particles in Convection Roll Arrays, Poulami Bag, Shubhadip Nayak, Tanwi Debnath, and Pulak K. Ghosh*, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 13, 11413−11418 (2022).
- Colloidal Clustering and Diffusion in Convection Arrays, Yunyun Li, Yuxin Zhou, Fabio Marchesoni, and P. K. Ghosh*, Soft Matter 18, 4778–4785 (2022).
- Binary Mixtures in Linear Convection Arrays, Pulak K. Ghosh*,Yuxin Zhou,Yunyun Li,Fabio Marchesoni,and Franco Nori, ChemPhysChem 2022, e202200471.
Escape kinetics of self-propelled particles from a circular cavity, T. Debnath, P. Chaudhury, T. Mukherjee, D. Mondal, and P. K. Ghosh*, J. Chem. Phys. 155, 194102 (2021); doi: 10.1063/5.0070842
- Non-Gaussian normal diffusion in low dimensional systems, Qingqing Yin, Yunyun Li, Fabio Marchesoni, Shubhadip Nayak & Pulak K. Ghosh, Frontiers of Physics 16 (3), 1-14 (2021).
- Diffusion transients in convection rolls, Q. Yin, Y. Li, B. Li, F Marchesoni, S. Nayak, P. K. Ghosh, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 912, A14 (2021).
- Anisotropic Diffusion in Driven Convection Arrays, Y Li, VR Misko, F Marchesoni, P. K Ghosh, Entropy 23 (3), 343 (2021).
- Diffusion of active particles in convective flows, P. K Ghosh, D Debnath, Y Li, F Marchesoni, Soft Matter 17 (8), 2256-2264 (2021).
Advection-enhanced diffusion in biased convection arrays, Yunyun Li, Qingqing Yin, Fabio Marchesoni, Tanwi Debnath, and P. K. Ghosh, Phys. Rev. E 103, L030106 (2021).
Enhanced buoyancy of active particles in convective flows
Y Li, P. K Ghosh, F Marchesoni, Physical Review Research 3 (3), L032065 (2021).
Active particle diffusion in convection roll arrays, P. K Ghosh, F Marchesoni, Y Li, F Nori, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 23 (20), 11944-11953 (2021).
- Diffusion of chiral janus particles in convection rolls, Y Li, L Li, F Marchesoni, D Debnath, PK Ghosh, Physical Review Research 2 (1), 013250 (2020).
- Enhanced motility in a binary mixture of active nano/microswimmers, D. Debnath, P. K Ghosh, V. R Misko, Y. Li, F Marchesoni, F Nori, Nanoscale 12 (17), 9717-9726 (2020).
- Exit times of a Brownian particle out of a Convection Roll, Qingqing Yin, Yunyun Li, Tanwi Debnath, and Pulak K. Ghosh, Physics of Fluids (2020).
- Escape Kinetics of an Underdamped Colloidal Particle from a Cavity through Narrow Pores, S. Nayak, T. Debnath, S. Das, D. Debnath, P. K Ghosh, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, J. Phys. Chem. C , 124, 34, 18747–1875 (2020).
- Non-Gaussian normal diffusion in a fluctuating corrugated channel Y Li, F Marchesoni, D Debnath, PK GhoshPhysical Review Research 1 (3), 033003
- Active diffusion limited reactions, T Debnath, PK Ghosh, Y Li, F Marchesoni, F NoriThe Journal of Chemical Physics 150 (15), 154902
- Active microswimmers in a finite two dimensional trap: The role of hydrodynamic interaction, T Debnath, Y Li, PK Ghosh, F MarchesoniThe Journal of Chemical Physics 150 (10), 104102
- Activated barrier crossing dynamics of a Janus particle carrying cargo; T Debnath, PK Ghosh, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 20 (38), 25069-25077
- Hydrodynamic interaction of trapped active Janus particles in two dimensions, T Debnath, Y Li, PK Ghosh, F Marchesoni, Physical Review E 97 (4), 042602
- Diffusion of active dimers in a Couette flow; T Debnath, PK Ghosh, F Nori, Y Li, F Marchesoni, B Li; Soft Matter 13 (15), 2793-2799 (2017).
- Two-dimensional dynamics of a trapped active Brownian particle in a shear flow; Yunyun Li, Fabio Marchesoni, Tanwi Debnath, and Pulak K. GhoshPhys. Rev. E 96, 062138 (2017); https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.96.062138.
- Nonlocality of relaxation rates in disordered landscapes; Y Li, D Debnath, PK Ghosh, F Marchesoni; The Journal of Chemical Physics 146 (8), 084104 (2017); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4976844
- Cargo towing by artificial swimmers, Debajyoti Debnath, Pulak K. Ghosh, Yunyun Li, Fabio Marchesoni and Baowen Li, J. Chem. Phys. 145, 191103 (2016); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4967773.
- Diffusion of eccentric microswimmers, Debajyoti Debnath, Pulak K. Ghosh, Yunyun Li, Fabio Marchesoni and Baowen Li, Soft Matter, 2016, DOI: 10.1039/C5SM02811F
Communication: Memory effects and active Brownian diffusion; P. K. Ghosh, Y. Li, G. Marchegiani, F. Marchesoni, J. Chem. Phys 143, 211101 (2015).
Pseudochemotactic drifts of artificial microswimmers, Pulak K. Ghosh, Yunyun Li, Fabio Marchesoni, and Franco Nori, Phys. Rev. E 92, 012114 (2015).
- Diffusion of chiral Janus particles in a sinusoidal channel, X. Ao, P. K. Ghosh, Y. Li, G. Schmid, P. Hänggi and F. Marchesoni, Europhys. Letts.,109, 10003, (2015).
- Communication: Escape kinetics of self-propelled Janus particles from a cavity: Numerical simulations, Pulak Kumar Ghosh, J. Chem. Phys. 141, 061102 (2014)
- Active Brownian motion in a narrow channel, X. Ao, P. K. Ghosh, Y. Li, G. Schmid, P. Hänggi and F. Marchesoni, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics 223, 1-16 (2014).
- Giant negative mobility of Janus particles in a corrugated channel, P. K. Ghosh, P. Hänggi, F. Marchesoni and F. Nori, Phys. Rev. E 89, 062115 (2014).
- Manipulating chiral microswimmers in a channel, Y. Li, P. K. Ghosh, F. Marchesoni and B. Li, Phys. Rev. E 90, 062301 (2014).
- Self-propelled Janus Particles in a Ratchet: Numerical simulations, P. K. Ghosh, V. R. Misko, F. Marchesoni and F. Nori, Physical Review Letters 110, 268301 (2013).
- Detectable inertial effects on Brownian transport through narrow pores, P. K. Ghosh, P. Hänggi, F. Marchesoni, F. Nori, and G. Schmid, Europhys Letts. 98, 5002 (2012).
- Analytical estimates of free Brownian diffusion in a corrugated narrow channel, L. Bosi, P. K. Ghosh and F.Marchesoni. J. Chem. Phys. 137, 174110 (2012).
- Brownian transport in corrugated channels with inertia, P. K. Ghosh, P. Hänggi, F. Marchesoni, F. Nori, and G. Schmid, Phys. Rev. E. 86, 021112 (2012).
- Driven Brownian transport through arrays of symmetric obstacles, P. K. Ghosh, P. Hänggi, F. Marchesoni, S. Martens, F. Nori, L. Schimansky-Geier, and G. Schmid, Phys. Rev. E 85, 011101 (2012).
- Particle transport through deformable pore geometries (letters to the editor/note), P. K. Ghosh and F. Marchesoni. J. Chem. Phys. 136, 116101 (2012).
- Communication: Driven Brownian Transport in Eccentric Septate Channels, M. Borromeo, F. Marchesoni and P. K. Ghosh, J. Chem. Phys 134, 051101 (2011).
- Quantum effects in energy and charge transfer in an artificial photosynthetic complex, P. K. Ghosh*, A. Yu. Smirnov, and F. Nori, J. Chem. Phys. 134, 244103 (2011).
- Geometric stochastic resonance in a double cavity, P. K. Ghosh, R. Glavey, F. Marchesoni, S. E. Savel'ev and Franco Nori, Phys. Rev. E 84, 011109 (2011).
- Periodic force induced stabilization or destabilization of the denature state of a protein, P. K. Ghosh, M. S. Li and B. C. Bag, J. Chem. Phys. 135, 114101 (2011).
- Artificial photosynthetic reaction centers coupled to light-harvesting antennas, P. K. Ghosh*, A. Yu. Smirnov, and F. Nori, Phys. Rev. E 84, 061138 (2011).
- Geometric stochastic resonance, P. K. Ghosh, F. Marchesoni, S. E. Savel’ev, and F. Nori, Physical Review Letters 104, 020601 (2010). Featured in "Riken Research News",
- Brownian transport in narrow channels subject to transverse pulsation, P. K. Ghosh and F. Marchesoni, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics 187, 41-47 (2010).
- Noise-induced transport in a rough ratchet potential, D. Mondal, P. K. Ghosh, and D. S. Ray, J. Chem. Phys. 130, 074703 (2009).
- Kramers-like turnover in load-dependent activated dynamics, D. Mondal, P. K. Ghosh, and D. S. Ray, J. Chem. Phys. 131, 024110 (2009).
- Modeling light-driven proton pumps in artificial photosynthetic reaction centers, P. K. Ghosh, A. Yu. Smirnov, and F. Nori, J. Chem. Phys. 131, 035102 (2009). Selected as the only "Research Highlight" of that issue of the J.Chem.Phys. Featured in "Riken Research News", Forecasting solar-energy harvests.
- High-efficiency energy conversion in a molecular triad, A. Yu. Smirnov, L. G. Mourokh, P. K. Ghosh and F. Nori, J. Phys. Chem. C 113, 21218 (2009).
- Quantum escape rate from a meta-stable state nonlinearly coupled to a heat bath driven by external colored noise, P. K. Ghosh and J. R. Chaudhuri, J. Stat. Mech.P02014 (2008).
- Characterizing phase transition in bistable system using non-equilibrium measurement of work, P. K. Ghosh and D. S. Ray, Physica A 387, 6443 (2008).
- Kinetics of self-induced aggregation of Brownian particles non-Markovian and non-Gaussian features, P. K. Ghosh, M. K. Sen, and B. C. Bag, Phys. Rev. E 78, 051103 (2008).
- Underdamped quantum ratchet, P. K. Ghosh and D. S. Ray, J. Stat. Mech. P03003 (2007).
- Colored multiplicative and additive non-Gaussian noise driven dynamical system: mean first passage time, G. Goswami, P. Majee, P. K. Ghosh and B. C. Bag, Physica A 374, 549 (2007).
- Quantum Ratchet motion, P. K. Ghosh and D. S. Ray, Journal of the Indian Institute of Science, Vol 87/3 Jul-Sep 2007 (Invited review).
- Interference of stochastic resonances: Splitting of Kramers’ rate, P. K. Ghosh, B. C. Bag and D. S. Ray, Phys. Rev. E 75, 032101 (2007).
- Noise correlation-induced splitting of Kramers’ escape rate from a metastable state, P. K. Ghosh, B. C. Bag and D. S. Ray, J. Chem. Phys. 127, 044510 (2007).
- Role of phase difference and colored cross-correlation on current in multiplicative and additive noises driven systems, G. Goswami, P. Majee, P. K. Ghosh and B. C. Bag, Physica A 375, 429 (2007).
- Stochastic energetics of quantum transport, P. K. Ghosh and D. S. Ray, Phys. Rev. E 73, 036103 (2006).
- A parametric variant of resonant activation: two-state model approach, P. K. Ghosh and D. S. Ray, J. Chem. Phys. 125, 124102 (2006).
- Inhomogeneous quantum diffusion and decay of a meta-stable state, P. K. Ghosh, D. Barik, and D. S. Ray, Phys. Lett. A 360, 35 (2006).
- Langevin dynamics with dichotomous noise: direct simulation and applications, D. Barik, P. K. Ghosh and D. S. Ray, J. Stat. Mech. P03010 (2006).
- Quantum escape kinetics over a fluctuating barrier, P. K. Ghosh, D. Barik, B. C. Bag and D. S. Ray, J. Chem. Phys. 123, 224104 (2005).
- Noise-induced quantum transport, P. K. Ghosh, D. Barik and D. S. Ray, Phys. Rev. E 71, 041107 (2005).
- Noise-induced transition in a quantum system, P. K. Ghosh, D. Barik and D. S. Ray, Phys.Lett.A 342, 12 (2005).
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Student Grievance Redressal Committee (SGRC)
- Internal Committee for Persons with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)